Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pamplona 2006-2009


(Getty Images)

Almost exactly three years ago, I met up with a couple friends in Pamplona and decided to do something stupid. Traveling from Florence to Pamplona in a day to sprint down an unnecessarily narrow alleyway with unnecessarily large bulls garnering unnecessarily large horns was memorable, sure, but stupid. Well, I guess I would do it again, anyway.

(Getty Images)

After surviving the run, I wrote this in my journal:

When you look back on Spain, remember the transfers and travels on the way to Pamplona, the bull run, the stadium and the exhaustion, the loneliness, the travelling and the homesickness, but most of all, remember to keep your head up and move on. Live with no regrets, take the bull by the horns, and take care of business.

When you think of Spain, remember to live.

It was one of the most spontaneous (and probably irresponsible) excursions I have ever been on. After returning from Pamplona and getting kicked out of the closing train station in Barcelona, I slept on a piece of cardboard on the sidewalk. After the adrenaline rush of the run and the absolute misery of sleeping on the streets, it was an emotional rollercoaster and I wanted to call it quits.

Unfortunately, my plane didn't leave for another two days. Luckily the next morning I felt a bit better and manned up for a couple days of exploration in Barcelona (not that I really had a choice) where I was fortunate to see old European men in speedos sauntering along the Mediterranean.


(Reuters)

Here's a photo series from this year's Pamplona Festival of San Fermin.


No comments:

Post a Comment