Thursday, July 2, 2009

New Beginnings

(From left to right: Buccaneer Archipelago, Sydney Opera House, Red Rock in Broome, Cascades in the Blue Mountains, Koala: Michael Lowe)

My arrival in Sydney a couple days ago signified two things: the exact halfway mark of my trip and my separation from Tourism Australia and their spectacular 7-course meals and five-star accommodations.

No longer do I have up to the minute itineraries and appointments with owners of hotels and executive chefs. Instead, I have a new sense of independence, freedom and the Australian landscape at my fingertips. Now, don’t get me wrong, staying at beautiful, boutique hotels and fancy restaurants isn’t half bad, but to say being dragged around for two weeks straight on a strict schedule unable to explore and wander isn’t easy.

Eleven flights, nine hotels and five time zones behind me it’s time to catch up on this blog in the comfort of free internet and good beer in Melbourne.

First stop: McDonalds.

No comments:

Post a Comment